On Sunday, January 23, 2022, the Word of God Sunday, both new and returning Lectors were commissioned during all the masses. A lector is the person who proclaims the first or second reading at Mass. This person also may lead the Psalm (in the absence of a cantor) and the Prayers of the Faithful at Mass (in the absence of the deacon).
After the 11:00 am mass, the Lectors for the English masses had their first meeting of the new year. They discussed the importance of proclaiming the word of God, the Do’s and Don’ts, and the movements of the Lector during the mass.
The General Instruction of the Roman Missal outlines the following as the duties of this ministry:
194. In the procession to the altar, in the absence of a Deacon, the reader, wearing approved attire, may carry the Book of the Gospels, slightly elevated. In that case, the reader walks in front of the Priest but otherwise walks along with the other ministers.
195. Upon reaching the altar, the reader makes a profound bow with the others. If he [or she] is carrying the Book of the Gospels, he [or she] approaches the altar and places the Book of the Gos- pels upon it. Then the reader takes his [or her] own place in the sanctuary with the other ministers.
The Liturgy of the Word
196. The reader reads from the ambo the readings that precede the Gospel. In the absence of a psalmist, the reader may also proclaim the Responsorial Psalm after the First Reading.
197. In the absence of a Deacon, the reader, after the introduc- tion by the Priest, may announce the intentions of the Universal Prayer from the ambo.
198. If there is no singing at the Entrance or at Communion and the antiphons given in the Missal are not recited by the faithful, the reader may read them at an appropriate time.
Become a Lector
The lector has the privilege of proclaiming the Word of God to those gathered for worship. It is a wonderful way to deepen your appreciation of Sacred Scripture and assist your fellow parishioners at Mass so that the Holy Spirit may speak to each one.
We are always looking for more Lectors to join our ministry. You are not required to have any prior experience, simply reach out to us using this page.